I stumbled on this free online film, not knowing what it was. I’m glad I did. Naomi Wolf has made a film to accompany her book of the same name, which is essentially an indictment of the Nazi-type policies inflicted on America since 9/11, primarily by the Bush regime, but also approved by many Democrats.
Comparisons to Hitler’s strategic plan to overthrow democracy in Germany are relevant and real. There is no excuse for ignorance in this information age . Wrapping one’s self in the flag and in mindless flag waving is no substitute for the “eternal vigilance” required of a free people.
Terms like “Homeland Security” and “enhanced interrogation techniques” have been lifted directly from Nazi documents and policies. Valid comparisons to the policies of Mussolini, Stalin, Pinochet and the East German STASI are made which should send chills down the spines of viewers.
Torture Marshall George Tenet (CIA, presidential medal of freedom recipient) has a wonderful quote included in the film:
“We don’t torture people. We do not–I don’t talk about techniques and we do not torture people. No. Listen to me. I want you to listen to me.”
I’m sure he does want you to listen.
Wolf’s Ten Steps to dictatorship and a closed society–
1. Hyping the terror threat
2. Secret prisons, unaccountable, outside of the rule of law, and the application of torture
3. Create a paramilitary force (priviate mercenaries placed above the law: in Iraq, in New Orleans, USA 2005)
4. Surveillance of ordinary citizens (“You’re on the list.”)
5. Infiltration of citizens’ groups
6. Detain and release ordinary citizens (“U.S Citizen Enemy Combatants”)
7. Target key individuals
8. Restrict the press
9. Recast criticism as espionage and dissent as treason
10. Subvert the rule of law