I feel better about eating there Saturday. Tasty stuff, not too expensive. This is good news.
In a first for a major restaurant chain,Chipotle Mexican Grill on Monday will begin serving only food that is free of genetically engineered ingredients.
“Contrary to the assertions of its proponents, the massive enterprise to reconfigure the genetic core of the world’s food supply is not based on sound science but on the systematic subversion of science – and it would collapse if subjected to an open airing of the facts.”
The shameless and yet shameful deliberate lies of the Frnakenfood industry continue to pile up and contort the very purpose of science.
Assembling big lists of studies supposedly providing overwhelming evidence of the safety of GMOs has become common practice by GMO proponents. GENERA is just the latest in a long series of such lists. The success of the tactic depends on the reading public failing to examine the actual studies and seeing what they say.
“However, this review suffers from serious defects, such as:
- classifying relatively short studies as long-term, even though they only follow the animals for a fraction of their natural lifespan
- including animal production studies designed to examine parameters such as meat or milk production, which do not look for health effects
- including studies on fish and birds, which have a different digestive system and metabolism from those of humans and are not relevant to assessing human health risks
- including studies in which the sample sizes are too small to draw any conclusions
- including a study in which animals were removed from the experiment for undefined reasons and replaced (naturally this study concluded the GMO was safe!)
- using unscientific double standards in dismissing the findings of studies that find toxic effects on the grounds of methodological weaknesses, while accepting at face value the findings of studies that conclude safety, even though they suffer from the same methodological weaknesses.”
A 12-point agenda for driving GMOs off the market
The anti-GMO and organic Movement has come a long way in the past two decades. But given the dangers posed by GMOs and Roundup, it’s time to move aggressively forward. Here are a dozen crucial steps we need to take in 2015 to drive GMOs and Roundup off the market.
- Stop Congress from passing the Pompeo bill (HR #4432) in 2015, which would take away states rights to pass mandatory GMO food labeling bills, and make it legal for unscrupulous food and beverage companies to continue mislabeling GMO-tainted foods as “natural” or “all natural.”
- Stop Congress from “fast-tracking” and passing secretly negotiated “Free Trade” agreements (the TPP-Trans-Pacific Partnership, and TTIP-Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership) that would weaken consumer and states rights to label and safety test GMO and factory-farmed foods.
- Pass more state laws requiring mandatory labels on GMOs.
- Pass more bans on GMOs, neonicotinoids and pesticides at the township, city, and county levels.
- Support Vermont, Maui (Hawaii), Jackson and Josephine counties (Oregon) in their federal and state legal battles to uphold their laws requiring labels and/or bans on GMOs.
- Educate the public on the dangers and cruelty of GMO-fed, factory-farmed meat, dairy and egg products, and organize a “Great Boycott” of all factory-farmed foods.
- Support mandatory state legislation to label dairy products and chain restaurant food coming from factory farms or CAFOs (Confined Animal Feeding Operations).
- Pressure retail natural food stores and coops to follow the lead of Whole Foods Market and the Natural Grocer to label and/or ban all GMO-derived foods, including meat and animal products and deli foods, from their stores.
- Pressure restaurants to follow the lead of organic/grass fed restaurants and ban, or at least label, all GMO ingredients.
- Support consumer efforts to test for Roundup/glyphosate contamination in drinking water, human urine, breast milk, and in non-GMO food products such as wheat, potatoes, oats, peas, lentils and dry beans that are currently sprayed with Roundup before harvest.
- Educate the public on the positive health, environmental, ethical and climate-friendly (greenhouse gas sequestering) attributes of organic, grass-fed, and pasture-raised food and farming.
- Boycott the “Traitor Brand” products of the Grocery Manufacturers Association, International Dairy Foods Association, and the Snack Food Association.
Despite the claims of the GMO lobby and its useful idiots, the trolls you see on message boards, they don’t understand the implications of the genetic alterations at all. They are playing dice with the world’s food supply. Genetic changes spread to bacteria and get out into the wild. And then there’s all that bacteria living within your guts right now.
Scientists have found that a single genomic change can turn beneficial bacteria into pathogenic bacteria, by boosting bacterial density inside the host.